The only way to defeat terrorism is with the gun; every last one of them must be killed. CLICK HERE FOR MORE
Police are today seeking the identities of three Jihadi terrorists who were shot dead by armed police after killing seven people and injuring dozens of others in a horrific van and knife rampage through central London last night.
The men, described as being ‘of Mediterranean origin’, mowed down up to 20 revellers as they careered across London Bridge in an ‘S shape’ at 50mph before they began ‘randomly stabbing’ people in nearby Borough Market.
Today heavily armed officers arrested five people in a raid at a block of flats in Barking, east London, as a major investigation was launched into the third terror attack on British soil in the last three months.
Speaking outside No 10 today, Theresa May confirmed the three incidents are not directly connected but are linked by ‘the single evil ideology of Islamist extremism’. The Prime Minister insisted ‘enough is enough’ as she vowed to introduce tougher punishments and crack down on fanatics.
The three attackers, who were wearing fake suicide vests, shouted ‘this is for Allah’ as they used 12-inch hunting knives to attack revellers at busy bars and restaurants in the market, sending dozens of others fleeing for their lives. One of the suspects was wearing an Arsenal football shirt.
Witnesses said the gang smashed pub windows and reportedly cut the throats of drinkers as civilians barricaded themselves inside and fought off the attackers with pint glasses and chairs. One witness saw a ‘dark-skinned’ man in a red tracksuit ‘calmly’ stab a man three times while another witnessed a victim being stabbed in the face.
Armed police rushed to the scene and shot dead all three suspects within eight minutes of receiving the first emergency call.
Harun Khan, Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Britain, said he was “appalled and angered” by the attack.
“Muslims everywhere are outraged and disgusted at these cowards who once again have destroyed the lives of our fellow Britons.
“That this should happen in this month of Ramadan, when many Muslims were praying and fasting only goes to show that these people respect neither life nor faith.”
Sadiq Khan has condemned the “deliberate and cowardly” London Bridge attack and said the situation is “still unfolding”.
Three Jihadi terrorists have been shot dead by armed police after killing seven people and injuring at least 48 more during a horrific knife rampage in central London last night. This photo appears to show the suspects lying dead on the ground outside Wheatsheaf pub in Borough Market. The man in the centre of the image appears to be wearing an Arsenal football shirt
The bodies of two men, believed to be terrorists, lie in the road in Borough market after shots had been heard
A wounded victim was wheeled out on stretcher by London Bridge as shocked people cried and shouted around them. At least 48 injured people were rushed to five hospitals around London after the terror attack
A traumatised man who helped the wounded victim led away on a stretcher walked away with blood on his shirt. A horrified bystander wrapped in a foil blanket was led away from the police
Police and medics treated injured people and carried them away at the end Thrale Street near London Bridge. Members of the public were told by police to ‘run as fast as they could’ westbound
Dozens of ambulances lined up along the streets to ferry wounded victims to safety
The atrocity on London Bridge was captured in taxi dashcam footage which showed some of the injured being treated on the side of the road asked police officers wielding guns were seen at London Bridge on Sunday morning as the area remains on lockdown
Forensic officers were seen circling blood splatter and bagging pieces of evidence as they scoured London Bridge today5
Several men were seen pinned to the ground with their hands tied behind their backs armed police stormed a block of flats in Barking, east London, in a raid believed to be connected to last night’s terror attack
A map shows how terror attack unfolded. The attackers were shot dead within eight minutes of the first emergency phone call
The scene remains on lock down today as armed police and forensic officers continue to piece together what took place last night. The terror threat remains at severe, meaning another terror attack is considered ‘highly likely’.
- Witness accounts of the terrifying events started to emerge with revellers describing how they fought off knifemen with chairs and glasses after attackers stormed packed bars and restaurants
- A hero taxi driver revealed how he tried to knock down three men ‘armed with 12in knives’ while another reported seeing victim being stabbed in the face and chest
- Dashcam footage emerged showing the aftermath of the devastation caused by the van on London Bridge, with bystanders seen tending to victims on the side of the road
- Desperate families are begging for information on loved ones feared missing after the attack, including a 16-year-old girl who failed to return home last night
- Kindhearted Londoners offered beds, food and cups of tea to survivors as the city came together in the wake of another attack and #PrayForLondon trended on social media
- Today heavily armed officers raided a flat in Barking, east London, on Sunday morning as police launched a major investigation into the third terror attack on British soil in as many months
- The Prime Minister chaired a meeting of the Government’s emergency Cobra committee in Whitehall this morning and insisted in a press conference outside No 10 afterwards: ‘Enough is enough’
- Politicians faced calls to cancel the election next week but Mrs May confirmed it will go ahead as planned
- All parties except for Ukip agreed to suspend national election campaigning today but local efforts will continue
- London Mayor Sadiq Khan condemned the ‘barbaric’ and ‘horrific’ event as ‘deliberate and cowardly’. Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said the attack was ‘brutal’ and ‘shocking’ in a tweet last night
- President Donald Trump tweeted his support for Britain, saying ‘Whatever the United States can do to help out in London and the U. K., we will be there – WE ARE WITH YOU. GOD BLESS!’
- Ariana Grande, whose young fans were targeted in the attack at Manchester Arena, confirmed the benefit concert to benefit victims will go ahead tonight as planned with her manager urging people to stand together
Speaking from the steps of No 10 today, Mrs May said Britain faces a ‘new trend in the threat we face’ as she condemned the brutal attacks.
The Premier said there was ‘far too much tolerance’ of extreme views and vowed to stand up for ‘pluralistic British values’ that were ‘superior’ to the fanatics’ ideology. She vowed: ‘We will take on and defeat our enemies.’
Mrs May, who chaired a meeting of the emergency Cobra committee this morning, said the election campaign would resume in full tomorrow and the election on Thursday would go ahead as planned.
The official terror threat level has not been changed and remains at ‘severe’ – meaning an attack is ‘highly likely’.
10.08pm Police were called to reports of a vehicle hitting pedestrians on London Bridge
Terrorists got out of car and ran to Borough Market stabbing people
10.16pm Three terrorists shot dead in Borough Market
10.32pm London Bridge station is closed
11pm Police said another incident was happening in Vauxhall as the station was reportedly evacuated
12.25am The incidents at London Bridge and Borough market & were declared as terrorist incidents
12.55am Police said the incident at Vauxhall was a stabbing and not connected to the terrorism
The PM praised the ‘great courage and great speed’ with which police responded to the terror attacks and condemned the use of fake suicide vests to ‘spread panic and fear’.
The terror started last night when three men drove a van in an ‘S shape’ across London Bridge shortly before 10.10pm last night in an attempt to deliberately target pedestrians. There are unconfirmed reports that it is a B&Q and Hertz van.
An on-duty British Transport Police officer who rushed to protect bystanders was among the first victims attacked as the attackers abandoned their vehicle and began stabbing at random.
He suffered ‘serious but not life-threatening injuries’ and his family has been informed.
Some 48 people have been taken to five hospitals across London after the horrific attack. One of the fatalities was at London bridge, it has been reported.
‘The men said “This is for Allah” as they left the van and attacked victims. There were definitely three people sitting at the front of the van,’ witness Eric Seguenzo told BBC News.
He added: ‘I thought the van was travelling on wrong side of the road, as though the brakes had failed. The white van had yellow stripes, veered to the right and people tried to jump out the way.’
Witnesses to the terror attack heard at least 12 gunshots in the area, now believed to have been police firing at the attackers.
Ben and his wife Natalie were in Borough Market near the Southwark Tavern. They told BBC Radio 5 Live that they saw a ‘dark-skinned man in a red tracksuit’ stabbing a man.